Wow, another year in my book of life. God has been so faithful in leading me to this place. On this day, I celebrate my birthday and some of the important lessons learned in life thus far. This was a beautiful chapter, and like last year, I would like to share lessons I have learned. Cheers to 22, and cheers to 22 new lessons!
Most Important Lessons Learned
1. I am fearfully and wonderfully made, not only do I know this but I believe it. No amount of praise can help you gain confidence, only God can.
2. It is important to care and love on your family and friends. Often times we are so busy taking care of others outside of our circle, serving and whatnot that we forget to show that same love to those in our home. I can’t treat my family and friends as less because I believe they won’t go anywhere. Life is short, cherish your time with those you love.
3. Television is overrated and boring. Reading is much more relaxing and educational. I have gained so much wisdom from reading and I am so thankful for the ministry of each and every author that has planted seeds in my life.
4. Smile beautiful, it looks good on you. I smile on most of my pictures, partly because I don’t know what else to do ( lol) but mostly because I have joy. Joy and peace from the Lord cannot be understood, simply felt. It is such a beautiful gift to smile in the hills and valleys.
5. My faith walk is not dependent on rules and bylaws, more so an intimate relationship with Jesus Christ. Because I seek to build a strong and intimate relationship with Christ, I stick close to His teachings. Religion and rules do not guide me, the Holy Spirit and the truths written in the word do. It is vital for any Christian journey to walk with the aid of the Holy Spirit.
6. Beauty starts within. You shine, not because of the makeup or clothes you wear, but as a residual effect of the light that is within you.
7. I will no longer make excuses for my quirks. I am me with all the quirks, either you like it or you don’t. If you do, great but if you don’t, that’s also great. Everyone does not have to befriend me and that is more than ok, it just means that our destinies do not cross.
8. Yes, my hair is big, curly, thick and doesn’t always act the way it should, but I love it. I use to be so annoyed of my hair, but I am starting to see how much of a blessing it is.
9. Perspective is key. Instead of moaning over your issues, look at them through God’s. How is this situation working for my good, and how is it molding me in my path of purpose and destiny. No experience is a wasted experience!
10. One of the most important lessons I learned is to not be afraid to love hard and to say it even if you’re scared. I used to be very fearful of how people would perceive me if I ” cared too much” or ” gave too much”, I thought they would say that I was extra, but that hasn’t been the case. Those that respond negatively are those that need love the most. We live in a broken world, love is the last thing we should be hiding. Love and serve others.
11. It is okay to be selfish. It is okay to be selfish. You need to protect yourself and guard your heart. This means that you will have to say no to some things; you may have to cut relationships. Walk in wisdom and don’t leave situations in a sour state but guard your heart.
12. Laugh your problems away. Laughter is great medicine!
13. God is faithful, worthy, deserving and powerful. It is so unfortunate that we do not fully understand the power and love of God. He is mighty, and He has not let me down yet, and He never will. I am so glad that the Lord turned my story around, that He called me when I did not feel deserving of His world. To God be all the glory!
14. Change is good. I used to hate change, detest it, the strongest word you can possibly imagine. Routine is still near and dear to my heart but I am not scared to try new things because I have found that it is in that new thing that God matures me. I am forced to depend on God when I am not in my comfort zone.
15. Parents and grandparents have a lot of wisdom. Listen to the elders in your life and gain some wisdom. We youngins don’t know it all, as much as we want to believe we do.
16. Ministry is one of the most frustrating and rewarding experiences that I have ever had. I have cried, sulked, ran out of patience, and yet I continue to do it with love. God is good, and it is an absolute honor to serve in His house and lead His children back to Him. Thank you, God for choosing me.
17. Be still. Be at peace. The Lord did not make me and set me free so that I can work like a slave. I am allowed to take breaks, to rest and to be still in His presence. I can let the Lord do the heavy lifting.
18. My desires aren’t fairy tales, they can be a reality with Christ. I am a dreamer and a planner, and sometimes my dreams and expectations may seem big to some, but God is infinite, and because of that, my desires and dreams do not have to fit the extent of reality. I serve a supernatural God!
19. Spread your wings and fly! Trust God and He will lead you. I came into 21 sure that I was going one route with my career, and I came out of 22 with a totally new route. God had to reveal this new root to me even though it was always deep down inside of me. It was hard to make the switch, but as I held on to God’s hand, He led me and never let me fall.
20. Life is really beautiful! not because of the things that you have or do, but because you can walk in freedom.
21.Contentment is very important in a world that always wants to make you feel that you aren’t enough, not doing enough, and don’t have enough. Be content with your present and be expectant of your future.
22. Did I mention that God is good! REALLY REALLY good.
And there you have it folks, 22 lessons on my 22nd birthday. I am so excited and expectant for this next chapter in my book. I would like to thank my family, friends, pastors, and church family for their continual investment in my life. Cheers to 22!